Where tiny places and thoughtful spaces fall in love....

February 20, 2011

EXPOSED....

The first time I ever witnessed my Mother's head literally spin 360 degrees poltergeist style occurred when I was about 5 years old. She had brought me home from a happy little day at preschool and as we pulled into the driveway we both immediately noticed all of the windows open to the back of the house and massive clouds of dust and dirt heaping out of the house. I'm not sure she even put the car in park before she was running into the house with claws exposed. There in the back room stood my dad with a mask over his face, covered in dust and an ax of some sort in his hand. Turns out he had spent the last few hours tearing off the plaster in our back "Bar Room" to expose the brick that lay underneath. This wouldn't be a problem at all considering this was something my parents had discussed doing in passing, aside from the fact that the entire house was covered in and inch of dust and we had weekend house guests on their way at that very moment. (Considering my mother's biggest hangup is our house not being in immaculate shape in front of visitors.) I'm not sure what happened next between the two of them for I fear my memory has blocked that terrifying memory. Although my mother may have very well castrated my father at that point, it all ended up working out after the house guest were gone from the war zone and we were left with a beautiful exposed brick walled room in our family's den. The things we go through for a beautiful home....